Old Collegians Rugby Union Club







Referee Bob Hogarth

Old Collegians won the toss and elected to run with the gale and as it so happened some torrential rain. As a result Old Collegians spent most of the half in Southern Suburbs territory. Southern Suburbs defended extremely well and despite the wind advantage the score at half time was nil all. Although the wind dropped a fair bit in the 2nd half, OC's were now at a disadvantage and the sideline bets would have had to be in favour of Southern Suburbs. For all that, Kevin Jones at full back, had little to do,with the forwards building up a head of steam, the threes covering well and Michael Raymond and Jamie Perkins making occasional forays deep into SS's half. In one good movement we thought Harry Clark backing up well, was going to score -0 but alas there had been a forward pass. Michael Campion had to come off and Chris Cushing got his run. Tim Campion marshalled the forwards, Chris Cushing controlled his opposite prop and Harry Clark got the upper hand with his. Dean Earle used his weight to advantage, and Chris Jaeger and John (Scarface) Simpson.. had fine games at breakaway. Guy Lithgow was everywhere as usual and put in his fair share of tackles. Paull Francis covered a lot of ground whi(le Peter Hawker was a steadying influence at fly half. In the last twenty minutes the weeks of training paid off and the forwards in particular played with the heart and determination that wins Grand Finals. For the last five minutes OCs were camped near the try line with a push over try imminent. But in the dying seconds, Ben Roko switched the ball out and Jamie Perkifis went over for the winning try. From such a splendid team effort it is difficult to pick out best players. I would only say this; Ben Roko probably played one of his best games and apart from OCs will to win, the difference between the two packs was Geraint Compton. Well done Old Collegians thirds.

FOOTNOTE: I would personally like to thank the 3rds for winning - it made Compton's remodelling job on my nose at training worthwhile. I would also like to thank those reserves who didn't get a run for supporting the team and finally thank you to Richard Waddicor, Duncan Armstrong, Giles Firstbrook, Dennis Hayden and Andrew Marshallsay for turning out the previous Saturday and giving the 3rds the scrum practice which paid off so well. Incidentally - at that practice when we had just completed our 71st scrum: Terry Jenkings " Now you have done 34 scrums we'll take a break" Wag "No wonder you're a bloody lawyer and not an accountant".

COACH: T Jenkings, Manager: Jane Cushing, Players: M. Campion, P. James, H. Clark, T. Campion, D. Earle, C. Jaeger, J. Simpson, G. Compton, B. Rokobura, P. Hawker, M. Raymond, G. Lithgow, J. Perkins, P. Francis, K. Jones. Reserves: D. Klynsmith, C. Cushing, M. Keating, D. Church, J. Davies.

STILL ON THE 3RDS .... OC's won the 3rds Grand Final in more recent years, in 1975, 1979, 1984, 1986. In 1979 minor premiers and finals winners players included G. Compton, J. Davies, D. Harford, P. Douglas, T. Nugent, C. Henderson and T. Farrah, all of whom played this season. In the 1986 Grand Final, C. Cushing, D. Earle, P. Hawker and J. Perkins all played.


29th August 1988

4th XV vs Brighton

Ray Murphy stood down for Peter Moir, George Bobaly had a run, Hirsch 'injured' at half time let Sandy Douglas have a run, Grant Sullivan found his true position at full back, the Burgess/Doc Douglas (see last week's TT) combination worked well, & Hugo Klynsmith scored a try.

However as OCs lost, Hugo says he'll have to play next season in order to go out on a winning note. OCs managed to get the introductions over before the match, "This is Bill, ... have you met Andrew?", "Meet Bew - our Team Manager", etc., but were still caught napping in the first 10 minutes & were unfortunate to have a Clayton's try awarded against them. Thereafter the whole team played well & in the second half especially, I thought they were going to pull it off. Despite losing 10-14 the 4ths ended on a high note. Well done - see you next season.

3rd XV vs Southern Suburbs

A winning team at last, and I find I have very little to write about. The scoring pattern was as follows - Southern Suburbs a penalty 0-3, Guy Lithgow a try 4-3, G. Compton a try 8-3, Paull Francis a goal 10-3. Half time. Southern Suburbs a penalty 10-6, another penalty 10-9, P. Francis a penalty 13-9. No side.

The forwards played well together, but too many penalties given away. ALSO DON'T CHAT THE REF. Ten training runs & no competition match took the edge off match fitness & this showed in the second half.

The backs worked hard, though I would have liked to see the ball run a bit more. Kevin Jones put in a top game at full back. Even if the 3rds were self critical after the game, taking into account the long lay off & the strength of the opposition, they did well. I would expect Southern Suburbs to be the opposition in the finals and they must not be under-rated.

Solid work over the next 10 days should see a premiership team. Apart from Tuesday & Thursday training, there will be a session at 11 a.m. on Saturday 3rd September for the shole team and reserves and ALL Club forwards are request to attend.

2nd XV vs Onkaparinga

Peter Liebich who has played regularly throughout the season, was sidelined for this match; unfortunate for Peter & a tough decision for the selectors. However I think I would have made the same declsion in the belief that there were two more matches to go. At half time OCs were leading by 9 points, but in the second half the forwards lost their drive & from the sideline it seemed that Onkas wanted to win a helluva lot more than we did. The pick of the forwards was easily Simon Clay.

At half back David Wortmeyer, who has had a very very good first season, covered a lot of ground and put in another good game. Next season he needs to concentrate on talking to his forwards & communicating with his fly half. He is certainly a half back of the future. At fly half Michael Raymond, substituting for Wynne, showed himself as a class player. His follow through work which set up a try for John Borzi was good, as was his tackling.

In the backs Michael Cobb showed his old drive & determination & John Borzi pulled off the tackle of the year, which was still being talked about on Sunday. The 2nds have been in a tough competition & have shown during the season & in parts of the finals, that they could rise to the top. Twice a finals gam has been thrown away - what was missing?

Well the season is over for them other than supporting the 3rds to Grand Finals win, & it is time for reflection, time to consider how so much talent can be harnessed next season, and time to resolve to give TOTAL commitment in 1989.

FOOTNOTE: Regardless of how frustrated or disappointed any player may be, it is totally alien to this Club to behave in the way certain individuals did after the match. Hopefully Doc Douglas, by clearing up the changing rooms, has saved the good name of the Club.



Tregenza Times, 8th August 1988

Friday 23rd September at 3.30 P.m. on Australian Airlines Flight 31 is the Kick Off time for our End of Season tour against Brothers in Brisbane. Our hosts have kindly made their Clubhouse available upon our arrival in Brisbane at 8.15 p.m., for pre-sleep drinks and a bit of chit chat. Those who may not have other sleeping arrangements will then wander back to the Mars Townhouse.

After sleeping off our Jet Lag, sometime on Saturday afternoon about 3.00 p.m. our game against a representative side of Brothers will take place. This will be followed by eating and drinking with our hosts, our opposition for the game we will be playing on Sunday against the Golden Oldies from the Wests Club, and others led by our President from the Past Roger McDaniel. Then back to our sleeping quarters. Sunday will start with a reasonable bang at about Midday at Nudgee Junior College - apparently a beautiful setting next to the river, with light refreshments and a BBQ prior to the game. For those feeling energetic, tennis courts and a swimming pool will be available. The Tour as such will conclude that evening and most people who have open return tickets will probably take a week off in Queensland to recuperate.

Chris Handy, the Brothers 1st Team Coach amongst other things, Roy Presser, a well known identity in the rugby world, together with our past President Roger McDaniel will be our hosts. Unfortunately Warren Brown, our former hooker and major instigator of the tour, will be sipping Guinness in Ireland at the time, and regrets he will miss us all.

Time is rapidly drawing near to closing off the final head count for our Tour. It is imperative that anyone interested who has not already made contact with the organisers, does so to secure a seat. Contact D. Harford, H. Rymill, G. Lithgow, M. Cobb or Phil Evans behind the bar. -  Please note that our fund raising activities have already reduced the costs by a considerable amount.


MATCH RESULTS - 6th August 1988

1st XV vs West Torrens at Bailey: 10 - 16 S. Hopkinson, D. Podgerelic, 1 try each; A. Wynn, 1 Conver 2nd XV vs West Torrens ? Won on Forfeit.
3rd XV vs Burnside at Parkinson W 8 - 3 G. Lithgow, J. Perkins 1 try
4th XV vs Onkaparinga W 24 - 4  A. Short penalty try plus 2 tries, B. Andrews& G. Sullivan 1 try each, D. Church 2 conversions

1st Division Premiership Table with one game to go: Burnside (30), West Torrens (26), Onkaparinga (24), University (20), Brighton (19), Elizabeth (16), OCs (15), Woodville (12) Pt. Adelaide (6), North Adelaide (2). No matter what the Advertiser says, Henry Dijksam & Charlie Demicoli do NOT play for Old Collegians.

Despite Brighton doing the right thing and losing 32-0 to Onkaparinga, OCs blew their slim chance of making the finals. This was a game OCs could, and should, have won. They started well, finished strongly and had a fair amount of territorial advantage. The forwards from time to time showed real drive & determination with Dennis Hayden making punishing drives into the opposition. However the OCs lost their ball from the set scrum too often & John Borzi, particularly in the first half, was not given enough ball. Again there was too much kicking & West Torrens took their chances. Too often OCs had the chance to deny the opposition possession & didn't.

Best forward H. Rymill, Best Back J. Borzi, good performances from Hayden, Humble and Sadler.

I believe this is the first time since 1964 (when we didn't have a 1st Division team) that OCs have not made the lst Division Finals. With the potential in the Club it should be the last time for many years to come. In the meantime, the lsts must beat Elizabeth at Womma to clinch 6th place, & thereafter must turn out to training to support the other three teams.

The 2nds were denied percentage points by the late forfeit by Torrens & in an impromptu 7-a-side Cobby caught Jack.

The Thirds by beating Burnside took out the Minor Premiership & the Feathers OCs vs Burnside competition for $500.

The Fourths had a comfortable win against Onkaparinga thanks largely to the threes.

Commiseration to Hamish Cranna who was playing a blinder but suffered near mortal injury. Apart from a sterling performance by John Hirsch, the forwards were generally pedestrian & lacked cohesion. The Fourths can say goodbye to a flag unless they play AND TRAIN together.


2nd May - OC vs. Brighton 2nd XVs

Brighton put early pressure on Collegians and only a determined defence prevented an early score. Gradually the Collegians pack got back into the game and the backs ran hard and kicked deep to keep the game in Brighton's half for long periods. Unfortunately we were losing many attacking positions by giving away frequent penalties. During a brief visit into Collegians half just before half time, Brighton were awarded another penalty which was converted to give them a 3-0 lead.

After the break Collegians lost the drive and determination which made them look winners in the first half. An early penalty saw Collegians draw level but the remainder of the game saw them defending desperately in their own half. Splendid defence by the back row almost ensured a draw but a harsh decision by the referee gave a penalty to Brighton which was converted from the touchline.

After a very promising finish to the first half in which Shine, Campbell, Humble and Compton were prominent, it was disappointing to see how the forwards fell away during the latter stages of the game. This was a game that could have been won but, despite the loss, there has been a gradual improvement in the team's performance.


7th May - OC vs Brighton 1st XVs

Traditional Rivals Fight Out Draw

Perfect conditions greeted players for the start of the annual local derby against Brighton. Collegians were strengthened by the return of veteran Dennis Hayden, star with a 1st XV jumper for consistent displays in the reserves.

Brighton, playing with the assistance of a fresh breeze, began with more power and possession to bustle Collegians into defence. Two goals and a field goal by Brighton appeared to have us on the ropes after the first twenty minutes. However, slowly but surely, our forwards started to get into the game. Extra ball gained in the lineout by Dennis Hayden, together with a steadier scrum base, the back mounted an attack down the middle field by way of a switch which saw Rob Sadler break through the Brighton defence with solid backing up by the back row of Rymill, Stark and Young. The forward drive was continued by the tight five with Nugent, Best and Douglas prominent. A penalty resulted and Collegians looked as if they were starting to get on top.

The pack kept the pressure up with Danny Podgerelic putting in some rally.ing kicks to put Brighton on the back foot, aided by good pressure on the opposition backs by Rymill and Stark. This pressure was rewarded by another penalty. Half-time - Brighton 9, Old Collegians 6.

The second half started with Collegians continuing to exert pressure and the forwards playing with more purpose, with Tim Campion, Hayden and Chris Dodson (Stark's replacement) prominent in the heated forward clashes.

Good kicking by Raymond and Podgerlic gained us valuable ground. The backs, steadied by David Glanville, kept us in the attacking zone and Nick Szuster repelled the Brighton attempts to relieve the pressure.

The move of the game came when the forwards supplied ball from a maul and Graham Raymond delayed his pass to Blind Wing, Sean Hopkinson, who timed his run to perfection, cut through the Brighton defence to pass to Rob Sadler who finished the move off, scoring under the posts.

Collegians continued their territorial advantage until, against the run of play, Brighton broke into our half following some loose play and were awarded a dubious penalty which was converted to make it 12-12.

Collegians had many opportunities to break the deadlock. However, a combination of choosing the wrong options and over-anxiousness allowed our traditional rivals to escape with a draw.

Best players: J. Douglas, D. Hayden, G. Raymond, H. Rymill. R. Sadler.

Scores: OC12 (Sadler, 1 try; J. Douglas, 2 penalty goals, 1 goal)


Match Report. 1st XV - 21st April 1988

Tregenza Times, 10th May 1988

Over the years Port Adelaide, at home, have been very difficult to beat. They were again an Saturday when their disruptive style proved to be our undoing.

Under perfect conditions, Old Collegians with the aid of a slight breeze in the first half had many opportunities including two relatively easy goal shots and a try that went begging due to a fumbled pass. Outstanding efforts led by Stark and Rymill wen unrewarded due to untidy finishing. Both teams went into the break, tied on three points, with one penalty each.

Port Adelaide continued to disrupt our scrum ball. The general consensus on the sideline was that against a bigger pack, we may have been better served to clear the ball quickly from the scrums. Despite the consistent efforts of Simon Best, Richard Quinn, Alister Young and the tenacious Danny Podgerelic Poer Adelaide continued to press us due to lack of ball. Late in the second half when it appeared a three-all draw would be the result of a dour struggle, Port Adelaide scored two shock tries.

In the final analysis, Port Adelaide's bigger pack paved the way to a hard fought victory. Consistent poor kicking by us directly to the Port Adelaide fullback did not help our cause and simple errors like failing to find touch from clearing kicks failing to reach the 10 metre line from kick-offs must be eliminated. Overall the consistant effort and endeavour (sometimes misdirected) could not be questioned and Michael Cobb's head on tackle in the second half made the trip down the Port Road worthwhile.

Best players: David Stark, Henry Rymill, Simon Best, Richard Quinn
Scores: Old Collegians 3 (K. Falster, Goal) Port Adelaide 13


Match Report - 1st XV vs Woodville 30th April 1988

Woodville has made the journey up Greenhill Road to Tregenza Oval for more than a decade without achieving a success. That changed on 30/4 when Woodville supporters drank to their well earned victory. The game was played in warm sunny conditions where South Australia's best rugby pitch looked a picture.

The first half was dominated by the Old Collegians pack winning the majority of ball. Dave Pridham, Tony Nugent and Tim Campion, along with Paul Warren and Richard Quinn toiled hard to allow the back row of Alister Young, Dave Stark and Henry Rymill to pressure Woodville into their own half.

David Podgerelic combined with the back row to put Young into the clear. Alister was caught just on the line before passing off to the ever-present Podgerelic.

It appeared with our continued territorial advantage that more points would follow. However, we failed to convert our opportunities into points  and, at the break, were ahead 4-Nil.

The second half started as the first finished with Collegians pressing inside the opposition quarter due to good tackling by Michael Cobb and Dave Glanville with the latter worrying Woodville with good attacking kicks. With the game appearing to be safe, Old Collegians conceded two tries in a 15 minute defensive lapse to surrender both the lead and the game. The view from the sideline was that we had enough of the ball, particularly in the first half, to build up a commanding lead. However, our back division failed to take their opportunities. To improve, it is necessary for us to provide better quality ball for our backs and to eliminate this 15 minute lapse in defense

Despite the lack of early season success, it is pleasing to see great support from club members for this team whose commitment cannot be doubted

Best Players..:- Cobb, Glanville, Podgerelic, Young, Quinn
Scores: OCRFC 4 (Podgerelic 1 try), Woodville 14


26th April 1988


Collegians' Ist XV trekked to Onkaparinga to play last year's Premiers spurred on by good numbers of supporters. Led from the front by David Stark, this team has six changes from last week's line-up.

Following an inspirational effort by the 2nds, the team hit the track determined to take it right up to Onkas. Tim Campion, despite being short of a run, began proceedings with a scuffle with his opposite number and played well throughout. Tactically we failed to use the strong breeze in the first 20 minutes. However, towards the end of the 1st half, we appeared to gain ascendancy. Ten minutes before half time inside their 25, following good forward play led by the tireless Alister Young, Mike Raymond competently playing at 5/8 for the first time, juggled the ball.

He regained control and passed to strong running Rob Sadler who broke the defence. Rob looked set to score under the posts but was recalled by the referee who was unsighted and incorrectly declared a knock-on by the 5/8.

This decision, the turning point of the match, resulted in the team dropping its concentration momentarily which allowed Onkas to score a soft try; effectively a 12 point turnaround.

The second half against the wind was always going to be difficult. It was a hard fought battle with new position players S. Best and H. Rymill improving all the time and with Mocatta, Stark, Young and Podgerelic striving for the breakthrough. The backs defended aggressively, led by Sadler, Hopkinson and 'Mr. Utility' G. Lithgow. Our attack was persistent without quality ball. Perhaps with better ball our running attack will become more positive.

Overall, this display was outstanding when taking into account the number of forced changes. As our techniques improve, the wins will come.

Final score: OCRFC 6 (D. Podgerelic - 2 penalty goals)
Onkaparinga 16

Other results:

3rd XV vs University Won 38-0;
Scorers: Tries: P. Evans (2), A. Short (2), S. Douglas (1), H. Kerr-Grant (1), C. Jaeger (1), H. Clark (1).
Conversions: P. Hawker (21) S. Douglas (1)
A game played in the best spirit of the game with 2 players loaned to Uni.
Question: does Uni. forfeit for playing 27 unregistered players or does OCs forfeit for having 17 players on the field?

2nd XV vs Onkaparinqa Lost 16-20
Scorers: Tries: A. Miller (1), C. Dodson (1), D. McCartan (1)
Conversion: J. Douglas (2)

The 4ths won on a forfeit by Southern Suburbs.

Team managers - please note - could we have some sand! Club: please, could we have some team managers!


21st March 1988


That was the last thing I heard before falling into the sleep of the dead an the first night of the Aldinga Rugby Training Camp. A camp which I believe the planners intended to sharpen the mental and physical reflexes of those attending. The night (or what was left of it) was relatively uneventful. I vaguely recall Paul Warren beating me about the head for snoring out of tune and him then slipping into sonorous slumber accompanied by unprintable noises. On being awaken at the crack of dawn by a churlishly cheerful John Davies, I acutely observed that Jack was missing from his bunk. Further research revealed that Tony Mac was not the only person to have been disturbed by Jack's sonambulations. I ought to explain that just in case the rumour that the camp was dry might be true, the whole contingent (except Graham Raymond who was brushing up an some sociology) had taken the precaution of going to the Aldinga pub for some light ales. It was here that it was finally established that Tim Naylor (alias Sidewinder) was really Jack - something to do with Nijinsky .... and I do not mean the racehorse!

Seventeen people, a small bottle of coke, a large bottle of brandy and a bottle of port eventually escaped the pub. The last three items were not materially in evidence the next morning. For the first pre-breakfast run I am happy to report that everyone made it down to the beach (except Doc Douglas who gave himself a special dispensation as chief cook). Chris Jaeger and Danny McCarten led the run at a volatile pace and the rest followed in their own time. Having seen them an their way, I returned to the kitchen to show Doc how to light the oven. Viewing the provisions I quickly came to the conclusion that the dominant theme was going to be tomatoes and snags (the snags eventually won in all quarters). An hour later the troops trickled in and consumed vast quantities of orange juice, tea, coffee, bacon, eggs, cheese on tomatoes, bread and of course, snags.

Tony Nugent had to be different - cereal and skimmed milk for him. We eventually found a rugby ball (and a soccer ball) and repaired to the beach. We started with rugby basketball - a seemingly innocuous game with one referee - John Davies. I lie! Richard Waddicor was playing. However Richard hadn't studied the rules. JD called for a ball up and Richard thought he had to compete for it with a high leap. At the summit of his 3 inch.leap, 23 people simultaneously tackled him. A wall, run along the beach followed by soccer. I think Duncan Armstrong might have played the game before and possibly Paul Francis - but then, a round ball is confusing.

The quartermaster and his green van appeared with refreshments. At this point, nobody complained at the choice of water or water. Touch with Mike Raymond doing spectacular dummy tackles and Quin, Stark and Mocatta engaging in friendly tumbles. Time for lunch. Just time for a quick relay of five circuits including swimming and running sections suggests the coach. I take a few photos of the wonderful assortment of swimming gear and prudently retire with the chef to prepare luncheon. During the repast, the coaches realise they have a new weapon. The threat of having to eat some of the pressed ham/beef? will urge people to greater feats of glory. Registration forms are filled out and I now realise why Mick Campion is getting married. He has registered himself as 'Michael William Campion, date of birth 13/9/88'.

Four teams are picked for a knockout cricket competition. The wicket shows a tendency to break up and the occasional passing car makes field placing tricky. Also the beach activities of a young couple not far away completely destroyed the players' concentration. In a nail-biting final Sean Beaton put on the pressure with a close field. However, he reckoned without his wicket-keeper, Nic Szuster. The ball flew off the bat towards him, he appealed loudly, then caught and dropped the ball. By the way, my team are still waiting for their winners' beer.

Sometime during the afternoon the chef kindly went to check out the Victory for an hour, organised fresh sawdust and returned with real refreshments. More touch, more swimming etc., etc. and it was time for dinner. A fantastic barbecue, french salad (snags), onions, potatoes (tomatoes) .... The Camp remained dry. (The boys told me they were dry reds.) Then, off to the Victory - as someone later remarked, 'what a ---- tearer of a night.'

President Harford (who really didn't have a good night), Burgess and Murphy arrived via the Alma. Dennis 'Iron Thighs' Hayden unfortunately couldn't make it to review the troops and Bew was detained elsewhere, preparing for his gall bladder operation. Phil Thorpe, I believe, flashed in a quick act, Burgess soloed, Alister Young was incomprehensibly amusing as usual, JD performed allouette slightly edited for the locals. If Dean Earle had been there we could have done the Wild Rover but he and Mike Shine were just checking a few other pubs. Navigator Hackett scored; a whiskey, that is off the landlord. Phil Evans found the beer too alcoholic so he switched to bundies. On our return to camp, he went to sleep an a sofa and was frightfully rude in the morning because no one had seen him to bed.

Sunday morning and compassion does not enter the vocabulary of certain sadistic and masochistic trainers. About 25 minutes after the scheduled hour of 7 a.m., some misguided individuals who happened to be awake really believed a lie-in was on the cards. This time Doc made it to the beach. After breakfast more beach activities and the golden oldies more than held their own in the final round-robin touch tournament. Eventually it was time to tidy up and trickle on home.

Some (approximate) figures including the President and his entourage: 30 people made the camp, 26 completed registration forms, 23 of which were more or less correct. Doc and JD lied about their age. The average and median age was 31. 3 people who said they would turn up didn't. No legs were broken and 11 hours was spent an beach events (that's not an aggregate figure). John Douglas almost finished his crossword puzzle. You'll have to ask the cook about the number of eggs etc. My only question is, what happened to the two-up money.

All in all, an excellent weekend and I am reminded of a certain Christmas carol - 4 Crippled Crows, 3 Cunning Coaches, 2 selectors, 1 President, no baked beans and a bundy in a brown bag.

Cheers, Danjo

P.S. - when I got home, it being a lovely day, my wife said ' Let's go down to the beach.'




top of page

Tregenza oval, Booth Avenue, Linden Park, South Australia, 5065

www.oldcollegiansrugby.org.au   www.oldcollegians.org.au   www.oldcolls.org.au